Monday, April 28, 2008

Well I've sucked it twice already since this afternoon...
There are enough tracks on HARD CANDY to make my mouth water for a new tour but... but...

Are Madonna and Guy Oseary *this* keen on getting back on top of the singles chart?

None of the singles off CONFESSIONS... made the US Top 5. Enter The Neptunes and Timbaland to bring their trademark sounds to HARD CANDY. And there's the problem for me. Too many of them sound like Pharrell Williams or Timbaland tracks that Madonna is guesting on and that's not right.

What I am loving are the 80s influences - I can hear echoes of Luther, Pet Shop Boys, Shannon, Italian House, Jam & Lewis, Change - I can even hear Donna Summer and a whiff of UK Garage.

But... but... too often I am just hearing Kelis or Justin Timberlake cast-offs.

I'm sure after another few listens I'll be more receptive but all I can think of is come back Stuart Price... there is nothing to forgive.

ps. The track SHE'S NOT ME is a bizarre listen for any Madonna fan... I can't remember her ever singing a song where a relationship is being threatened by another - THIEF OF HEARTS maybe... but M definately has the upper hand there. It sounds very odd to hear her so threatened!

No comments: