Wednesday, April 09, 2008

NY Chums and Yums...

It was nice to meet up with my people out there... not so nice having to have constant autopsies over the job going south. The food on the table always helped!

Dezur met us outside CURTAINS and we went for a lengthy talk and meal at
Rachels on 9th Avenue between 43rd & 44th. Um. Maybe a bit too lengthy... we were the last to leave the restaurant while the manager cashed up and the staff sat in the semi-dark at the front of the restaurant. Three days later we met up for Sunday brunch at our old favourite Pigalle to bat some more breeze before seeing the wonderful SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

Dame Nicola Blackman, Star of Stage Screen and Bowling Alley, was in New York at the same time. Not too surprising as she has had her green card for a while now - but she seems to be in demand in the UK now more than ever!! Anyway Sunday evening was spent with Owen, Nikki and her delightful NY flatmate Grey in the intimate, historic lobby of our hotel The Algonquin sampling their cocktails and having a great evening.

I had lunch on Monday with Karen Moline. Karen immortalised me in print for her 1988 biography on Bob Hoskins with my anecdotes on the National Theatre's GUYS & DOLLS. I lost touch with herself for a few years but found her on Facebook so we had a lot to talk about over the tasty food at La Petite Abeille, a nice Belgian bistro near her apartment on East 20th and 1st. Afterwards I went with her to meet Emanuel, her 7 year-old Vietnamese
adopted son.

Later on Monday was the first time I could get to meet Suzanne, the good lady Golden. My damn job and the state of Broadway were picked over as we took no prisoners with the food at the Chelsea Grill on 9th & 47th - couldn't find no picture on the damn internet though!

On my last day I had breakfast bought for me by the owner of Posteritati Poster Gallery and all-round good-egg Sam Sarowitz for yet another round of picking over the carcass of Flashbacks while making fair weather of my lovely breakfast.

One day I'll remember to take photos of my mates! Thank you all for a lovely time.

No comments: