Monday, May 29, 2006

The music weekend continued on Sunday with MORRISSEY's last night of his Sunday Night At The London Palladium residency. We had excellent seats - 9 rows from the stage at the side - and wouldn't you fecking believe it.... the two tallest bastards in the auditorium in front of us? These two men - totally unknown to me - have won my undying hatred for talking at length into each others ears throughout the whole show - and when they were not talking they were gawping at friends either in one of the boxes or in the dress circle and waving at them like mongs or taking photos of them. All the while Morrissey - who I presumed they had paid to see - was on the stage in front of them.

Am I - and Owen - the only people who go to fuckin' concerts to watch the act in question? This is a constant thread running through all my live reports but it really is getting beyond a joke. Like... gigs are becoming an increasingly expensive past-time - so why do the twats with no spatial awareness want to yak to someone all the way through it??

Anyway back to Moz... yeah he was in good form, no hissy fits thrown as on his first night supposedly but... the new songs sounded better live than on the album but, but, but.... why didn't I enjoy it more than I did? A combination of the irritating twats in front of me and me struggling with a sore throat probably.

The set list was PANIC (wonderful) - FIRST OF THE GANG TO DIE (great) - THE YOUNGEST WAS THE MOST LOVED (good) - IN THE FUTURE WHEN ALL'S WELL - I'LL NEVER BE ANYBODY'S HERO NOW (both servicable) - GIRLFRIEND IN A COMA (great) - YOU HAVE KILLED ME - TO ME YOU ARE A WORK OF ART - I WILL SEE YOU IN FAR-OFF PLACES - LET ME KISS YOU (all good) - I JUST WANT TO SEE THE BOY HAPPY - GANGLORD - AT LAST I AM BORN - LIFE IS A PIGSTY (all treading water) - HOW SOON IS NOW? (great) - IRISH BLOOD, ENGLISH HEART (excellent) STOP ME IF YOU THINK YOU'VE HEARD THIS ONE BEFORE as an encore.

The trouble is, with most of the new songs, I think I *have* heard it before - Life Is A Pigsty a case in point... just because it's long does not make it 'epic', gimme "You Know I Couldn't Last" or "Speedway" anyday.

3 comments:

Susie said...

I don't suppose you were on the left hand side of the theatre? I was 14th row at the very far left and had a great view, but could see 2 guys a few rows in front of me further in waving at someone (I think in one of the boxes)all the time.

I totally agree with you on the talking all through shows - I really don't understand it. It seems to be happening more and more these days - or maybe it's because I'm getting older and gravitating to the back of venues more than I used to.

chrisv said...

Hi Susie

Yep that's where I was! How spooky is that? And yes, they were the two twunts in question. My other arf did tap them on the shoulder and tell them their constant waving at the OP box was spoiling our view - and credit where credit's due they did stop for a while.

As I was writing the blog it crossed my mind that had I been anywhere else in the stalls I probably would have had a better time.

*fume*

I read your blog and agree about the ponderous turn in the middle of the set.

gdpreston said...

Oooh you got Panic, we got Still Ill the previous week (and Ally Pally).

Think I'd rather be where you were with tall people in front than way up in the gods where we were!

I enjoyed it but it didn't exactly flow - too much stopping and starting between tracks and, as you say, a couple that could have been dropped.

At least you got an encore from the stroppy fucker!

G.