Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Last night I was treated to another blast between the eyes from those loose cannons The Sex Pistols (am I overdoing this I wonder?)

They were playing Hammersmith Apollo as part of their COMBINE HARVESTER tour and Owen and I were in the relative safety of the third row of the circle. Having seen the sizes of the blokes in the foyer I was very happy to be up there... anywhere to be away from them when they started the pogo mosh.

I must admit I enjoyed them
more at Brixton last year - the sound was better and there was also the pure wonderment at finally seeing them live but Johnny was as taunting and as mesmerising as ever... the ultimate front man. He prowled and staggered Frankenstein monster-like around the stage - he even showed up his Union Jack boxers!

The crowd were also odd - as soon as the band left the stage instead of the cheers continuing for an encore they practically all stopped shouting! Maybe they just didn't
bother because they knew they were coming back on. Odd though..
The set-list, unsurprisingly, was largely unchanged but there were blistering versions of "Pretty Vacant", "Bodies", "EMI", "Stepping Stone", "No Fun" and of course the win double of "God Save The Queen" and "Anarchy In The UK". There was a raggedy version of Hawkwind's "Silver Machine" which was an odd way to end the show but the four Pistols were greeted with rousing cheers.

We got to sing Happy Birthday to Steve Jones, 53 today. John rightly hailed him as one of the survivors and indeed they are, still standing and still making a racket. I'd rather watch them than any number of the bands of today.

1 comment:

Mondo said...

I was at the gig and left the Apollo buzzing like a schoolboy, and haven't quite recovered since

I've got some stalls pics and a write up here

And a few other punky related ramblings here