Thursday, February 08, 2007

Tonight Owen and I went to see Boy George again, this time in the posh surroundings of Koko {aka The Camden Palace, The Music Machine, Camden Hippodrome etc} Somehow this was my first time going there and what a nice building it is.

Boy George was, I suspect, feeling no pain tonight. He was fine while singing but he was all over the place during the links, garbling his sentences so quickly that only he I suspect knew why he was laughing. The band - including longtime song-writing collaborators Kevin Frost and JohnThemis - was loud and good, his new found dancehall style still gives old numbers like KARMA CHAMELEON a thorough shake-up and the set-list included all the ones I liked from last October at the Pigalle. There was also a good one I think called HUMAN NATURE about Asylum Seekers. Oddly despite backing singer Lucy having a fair old hefty belt to her voice - she certainly nailed Helen Terry's lines from CHURCH OF THE POISONED MIND - his recently 'released' aka downloadable single TIME MACHINE with the thankfully-absent Amanda Ghost was not featured.

By and large I enjoyed it although it was marred by George's jittery mood, the deliberately obscure and back-of-the-stage lighting - is he still obsessed about his double-chin? - and the lack of spatial awareness of several vile females.

No comments: