Sunday, June 08, 2014

Horrible...

I have just read an interview with James Earl Jones in which the woeful 2013 Old Vic production of MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING was mentioned.

Interviewer: You were doing DRIVING MISS DAISY as you were memorizing MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING last year. Was that tricky to juggle both in your brain?

JEJ: Well, I had mostly already memorized MUCH ADO. Knowing my lines didn't help, though - it was a horrible production.

Interviewer: What a shame. You and Vanessa Redgrave as a much older Beatrice and Benedick was such a unique idea.

JEJ: Yes, it was a unique idea, but it got lost. Wasted. Honestly, I should have bowed out of that production.

Yes James, you should have done.

From my blog:
"I wish I could say the same for Earl Jones.  He rumbled through his speech making no sense whatsoever and when he said "No, the world must be peopled" I am sure I was not the only one thinking "Love, you're 82!"

It wasn't his fault, he was saddled with a woeful concept by director Mark Rylance.  He might have talent as an actor but he obviously can't even direct piss into a bucket.

1 comment:

Owen said...

It was rather horrible, with him shuffling round in his rompers...