Monday, October 27, 2008

In the past few days I have seen two favorite female singers - one can cut it live, the other is showing signs of concern.

On Thursday Owen & I went to St. James Church, Piccadilly to see Beth Rowley. Now it's an impressive building in a COE way, but despite it's popularity as a music venue it kinda blows. It's first-come-first-served so if you were in the pews facing the stage - oh alright altar - you were ok. We got there about 30 minutes after the doors opened and had to make recourse to the - um.. dress circle. The seats that ran down the side were awful unless you were in the front row and could lean forward - even standing up you could only see a bit of the stage... altar. Luckily Owen managed to find a tiny mini-pew behind the two pews facing the stageltar down the length of the aisle. After two dreary folky support acts came and went it was time for Beth and I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed. It was the third time I have seen her and she seemed ill-at-ease and unsure during her whole set. She was roadtesting new material which sounded ok but she was so listless on stage I really felt uncomfortable watching her. She mentioned that she was getting over a cold but even so.. there is such a thing as Doctor Theatre - even if it's in a church! She also had a mild kvetch that she wasn't used to playing to an audience that remained seated and her oddly-paced set was curtailed by the fact that the church had a curfew - so why pick the bloody place as a venue? She played a good selection from her LITTLE DREAMER cd which are always good to hear but I left feeling that maybe I should give her the go-by next time.

However all was put right with the world on Saturday when we saw the glorious Linda Lewis at the Jazz Cafe. I was a bit of a fan during her 70s heyday but have only seen her in little guest slots in bigger shows so I was a bit excited sitting in the mezzanine looking directly onto the centre of the stage. She made a dazzling entrance in a multi-coloured silk fringed affair and black dress and she was totally entrancing.

She sang songs from her lengthy career - she started her solo career in 1970! Her material is hard to define as it crosses so many genres - which I guess is why she has never achieved the longterm chart success she deserves but all her songs have a gentle, humorous, loving quality which makes her an artist that it's a joy to see. Her great 'cheeky eastender' personality was also much in evidence, joking and laughing with the audience and her band
.

Her backing band were great and none other than Sylvia Mason-James was on backing vocals - I nearly fell off my chair
when Linda announced who the aloof-looking singer with the bejewelled flat shoes was - it was nice to see Sylvia with someone other than the Pet Shop Boys. There was also a great middle-section with just Linda and her acoustic guitar.

My favorites of the set were ROCK-A-DOODLE-DOO (of course), REMEMBER THE DAYS OF THE SCHOOL YARD, BABY I'M YOURS (yaaaay!), IT'S IN HIS KISS
(eeek!), REACH FOR THE TRUTH, SIDEWAY SHUFFLE ("Ooo I nearly lost my bra shaking like that") and I KEEP A WISH. Speaking of which, when we got there I saw a cd lying a bit further up the table which on further investigation was a signed copy of the single of ...WISH - so that was a great bonus! Linda is hoping to have an album of new material out early next year so it would be great to see her again - and then I will definately not be shy about shouting out for THE MOON AND I when she asks for requests!

1 comment:

Owen said...

I'd forgotten about her bra!