Friday, August 01, 2008

Last night I had another immersion in the loopy, funky, dirty, zany world of Macy Gray at the Indig02. Owen and I saw her a few years ago and she was as blazingly original live as she is in her albums.

We had nice central seats in the circle - first time up there - but I must admit it was a bit sad that both sides of the circle were a bit sparse of punter... still all the more Macy for us! She swaggered onto the stage in a tight-fitting trouser suit and tie. The thumping and densely-sounding band were also suited with ties but Macy was the only one with a huge monogram on the back! Here she is wearing it at an earlier gig.

It took a bit of time to get fully cranked and the audience were a bit muted but as soon as Macy had said fuck a few times and got the audience to scream a few times we were off and running. She gave us songs from her four albums as well as a few covers. Annoyingly she only did a few songs from her excellent last album BIG choosing instead quite a few from her debut album.

Among my favourites were "Do Something", "Glad You're Here", "One For Me", a whacked-out woozy version of Sly Stone's arrangement of "Que Sera Sera", an epic version of "Demons", a deep soul version of "Creep" which was fantastic and the perfect song for her, then a wonderful cut'n'shunt "Sexual Revolution" which morphed into "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" (and yes - it did sound great) then her two amazing back-up singers - like refugees from a touring production of DREAMGIRLS in their red fringed dresses - gave us a quick chorus of "Groove Is In The Heart" which was the signal for all the madness to start with the oompa-oompa band thrash-out that is "Oblivion" - one guy doing the Dylanesque peeling away of large lyric pages while another staggered around the stage clashing drum cymbals in his hands. Glorious!

This of course left us with only one way to go and soon we were joining in with the chorus of the mighty "I Try". I don't know how many times she has sung it, I don't know how many times I've heard it but belting out that great chorus with her felt wonderful.

I left in such a happy state I can even forgive her the non-appearance of my two favourite songs from BIG "Finally Made Me Happy" and "Treat Me Like Your Money".

No comments: