Friday, February 08, 2008

My Blog Brother David Daily-Drama (one of the Brighton Daily-Dramas I believe) has discovered an online questionaire which I think I'll have a go at. It is primarily aimed for Broadway audiences - amazingly I have only seen 14 musicals there but here goes...

1. The first musical I ever saw on Broadway was: INTO THE WOODS by Stephen Sondheim (Martin Beck Theatre 1988)

2. The musical I would most like to see again is: (from the West End) SPEND SPEND SPEND at the Piccadilly - I enjoyed it a lot and would like to refresh my memory of it.

3. The musical I never want to see again is: MISS SAIGON - sentimental patronising crap.

4. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a woman I’ve ever seen is: Karen Ziemba in CONTACT (I am hoping this will change by the start of April)

5. The best performance in a Broadway musical by a man I’ve ever seen is: Harvey Fierstein in HAIRSPRAY

6. The person I wish they'd never cast was: Paula Wilcox in the Bridewell Theatre's ANYONE CAN WHISTLE attempting to sing the Angela Lansbury role in the key of off.

7. The person they should have cast was: Take your pick... Angela Richards, Diane Langton, Josephine Blake, Jessica Martin...

8. My favorite Broadway choreography was in the show: A CHORUS LINE

9. The lyric/line that always brings a lump to my throat is: “Sunday.... By the blue purple yellow red water” SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE

10. The stupidest lyric/line I’ve ever heard is: “Silent music starts to play" - SUNSET BOULEVARD

11. The first musical I had to go back and see twice was: GUYS AND DOLLS - my theatrical light on the road to a life of seeing shit movies.

12. The first musical I ever walked out of was: Never have.

13. The most under-praised musical in my opinion is: The London production of Kander & Ebb's THE RINK boasting two of the finest performances I've seen on the musical stage Josephine Blake and Diane Langton.

14. The most overly-praised musical in my opinion is: RENT.

15. The show tune I’m most likely to sing while I’m dancing around at home is: DREAMGIRLS... I mimed to it in El Piano, Sitges... and only I know where the photographs are.

16. If I could recast any role in a current Broadway musical with a performer of the past it would be: GYPSY with Judy Garland - I saw Sondheim interviewed once where he said that the producers of the original production nearly had her signed to either take over from Ethel Merman or to fill in when she took a break but she withdrew at the last minute.

17. If I could recast a current actor in a Broadway musical that was before their time it would be: Jennifer Hudson as Carmen Jones.

18. The show they should never change a word of because it is already perfect is: GUYS AND DOLLS.

19. The show I'd most like to get my hands on and rewrite is: CLOSER TO HEAVEN - fine score by the Pet Shop Boys, lousy book by Jonathan Harvey.

20. The role I was born to play on Broadway is;: Mrs. Lovett

1 comment:

David said...

I like your choices. Ive been doing a google search for the Dreamgirls photos, without success!