Sunday, September 16, 2007

So last night I again found myself sticking to the floor at the Shepherds Bush Empire... do they EVER clean them?

I went with Owen to see a Celebration of Marc Bolan which was celebrating his 60th birthday or his death 30 years ago, you decide.

It was actually a glorified gig for the tribute band T.Rextasy who in themselves were not bad and the lead singer - from where we were anyway - was a dead spit for the Bopping Elf himself - bit still and all... a tribute band.

One of the guests was Clem Burke who graciously thumped merry Hamlet out of a 2nd drum kit and the thought did cross my mind... this is a new wave legend playing with a tribute band.
I wonder would he do the same with Atomic Blondie?

I must admit at one point I said to Owen - even before the interval - that I was probably going to go home. I think the IndigO2 the night before had spoiled me. Yes it's slick, poncey and a bit up-itself... but it's a custom-designed venue with excellent sightlines and not a converted Edwardian Theatre. As I said the place was jammed - it wouldn't surprise me if it was over-sold - so all the people who came in after the pit filled up jockeyed for position behind those standing at the bar or wandered up and down trying to find a better viewpoint or stayed by the bar and got pissed and loud. Owen and I were in agreement - the Children of the Revolution are revolting. Mind you the beery loud-mouthed sods were the same at the other vile experience I had there namely Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - so maybe it's just the gigs by ex-glam rockers I should avoid?

The last straw was when trying to buy a round of drinks Owen kept getting blanked by the mong staff because the actual bar was blocked by fat ugly munters watching the stage - not ordering... just watching the stage. Now surely even if it's a prime vantage point to see the stage the staff should tell punters to step away from the bar if they are not buying drinks??
As it was now obvious that the staff AND the punters were conspiring to make it a shit night for me my Aries spirit kicked in and was determined to prove them wrong. I spied two places on the first step of the tiered area at the back and nabbed them. I had people yakking all around us but at least I could see the stage.

So you will suspect I had a night to forget but no... I actually managed to enjoy some of it! As Owen has said on his blog the evening actually fell into place when - believe me this is as hard for me to type as it is for you to read - Shakin' Stevens walked on! Up til then the only breaks from T.Rextasy had been Andy Ellison (whose act was summed up by someone's jeer "There's only one Iggy Pop") and Ray Dorset who lost serious Brownie points for reading the lyrics to Debora from a sheet - dear God man they're not That difficult! Oh and Eric Hall still as skull-beatingly annoying as ever. So he yapped on interminably to cries of YIDDO and GET OFF YOU CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT. Bearing in mind the sound was so crap you couldn't hear anything said on stage they had a point with the second observation. So on walked Shakey who launched into a Bolan song called Chrome Sitar - cue Owen grinning like a loon - and Laser Love - punchy, on the money, not mimicking Bolan, thank you, goodnight.

After a couple of songs by Dr. Robert - now a Bob Mills lookalikey - it was time for Linda Lewis who appeared with shocking pink feather boa to shriek "YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH" which made Everyone shut up for a fantastic Children Of The Revolution and a great Metal Guru, so what if she got the lyrics upsy-dutch? I must get round to seeing her in her own concert one day. Now Marc Almond had done 3 songs in the first half but as they were all acoustic they were lost on me as I was in the middle of the talkers but on he shimmied in the 2nd half to do Dandy In The Underworld and Teenage Dream - the perfect marriage of song and performer! More glitter than Bolan ever imagined!

Marc then re-appeared in a change of schmutter to introduce onstage Miss Gloria Jones.

Now I must admit I only went to see Gloria, a ledge in my opinion for writing Gladys Knight & The Pips' NO ONE COULD LOVE YOU MORE as well as quite a few overlooked Motown classic songs with song-writing partner Pam Sawyer. I had inadvertently squeezed behind her earlier while she was being mobbed by excitable fans but she was very gracious on stage and told us sadly Ronan would not be there as he couldn't find his passport. Having met him before I'm not at all surprised! However she joined Marc singing the choruses of TAINTED LOVE which was a highlight of the show. Needless to say some stupid bitch loudly whinged "But she killed him!" C*nt. Gloria is now living in Sierra Leone working for children's charities - click on the right picture for her website.

So I'm glad I went for the pictured artists and to hear Marc's catalogue, I even heard a few I didn't know. But for now I am starting a campaign to tear the damn Shepherds Bush Empire down.

No comments: