Friday, June 30, 2006

Ooo-weee another Record Bag night at Ye Olde Retro. After trying valiantly to get together a snappily-titled "5 FROM THE 50s" which sadly didn't fly this time out (but will continue to be worked on) I cobbled together a set list using the tried and tested formula of them being songs I wanted to hear played loud!

Madonna "I Love New York" (film remix)
Pet Shop Boys "West End Girls"
TLC "Creep"
Alexander O'Neal "Hearsay"
Gnarls Barkley "The Last Time"

I love the M remix, PSB and TLC sounded good back to back on iPey one day and Alexander O'Neal and Gnarls B were tracks I've wanted to play for a while. As usual I enjoyed myself bigly but we must start nabbing tables towards the dj booth - it would be nice to see my compadres when I am spinnin' em up. Owen made it there, the first time out properly since his back problems and after today's jour de enfer he deserved a cheer-up.

As usual I was visited by a resident fixture of the night *just* as I was relaxing into the set and proceeded to mumble away about sod all for what seemed like ages. He even accused me of wearing a knocked-off Keith Haring t-shirt. Happily he was suitably chasened when I showed him the Pop Shop label. Clown.

Rob asked me when I was playing TLC did I like 'lady groups' from the period 'cos when cleaning out the Retro kitchen he had found loads of cds and I could have any I wanted. "Sure" says I, so when I finished the set he came over and dumped them all on the table. After about a minute the penny dropped... they were all mine! I had left them there after the Sunday Retro Car Boot Sales almost three years ago. I roared.... amazingly most of them I would have sworn blind I had sold on eBay! I happily dumped them back with Rob who left them on a table for punters to take what they wanted. It's that Giver thing again you dig?

3 comments:

Owen said...

I recognised Madonna straight away but had to ask what the PSB tune was - I couldn't hear it under the buzz of witty conversation and intellectual debate a la Retroid...

chrisv said...

It was THAT low? The Clown came over to tell me he couldn't hear the Alexander O'Neal.

gdpreston said...

The old CD's was hilarious ... first yours and then a few of Dawn's old cast offs.

How we lol'd!

G.