Sunday, June 11, 2006


At last Constant Reader... I am back from internet wilderness! On Monday my landline went bang and it took a feckin' week for them to work out the fault was at the exchange.

Now it will come as no surprise that I have been known to go online during work hours. Indeed I can state it's my means of production... if the internet's not on then I can't work. Simple as that. But the fact of being unable to access my broadband connection at home was HORRID.

I have truly become an internet junkie. Don't need a fix 24-7 but I need to know I can access it whenever I damn well want to.

Two fun nights out are to be chronicled... for the first time since God was a child I did the Retro Bar pop quiz with Dawn and Tall Paul - the team being filled out by the ever-smiling charmer Kevin. The subject was Dead Or Alive? in keeping with the date being 06/06/06. 20 Questions and we had to guess whether the singer was dead or alive. We scored 19 outta 20 - it would have been 19.5 had Dawn listened to me when I said Jimmy Ruffin was in the rudest health and not brown bread like his brother David. Oh and it would have been 20 if Kevin really DID know what Joe Cocker's voice sounded like as he kept saying. We also had to put up with the spoiler tactics of one Kim Phaggs go-go dancing for every song and Justin Bond who even went to the extremes of slithering through the open window from the street outside. Don't try this at home kids.

Needless to say we lost as two teams got 20 out of 20 namely Gerald and Stephen's team and DJ whats-his-eek who does the Who's In Your Record Bag? night at the Retro. I voluntered to be adjudicator for the face-off and indeed judged DJ w-h-e to be the winner.

On Friday O and I made it to the Albery Theatre-as-was, the Noel Coward theatre as is - be a cold day in Hell before I call it that - to see one of my favourite shows from last year AVENUE Q I think we were both concerned about the show - it seemed such an American show when we saw it on Broadway that I wondered how it would survive it's trip across the Atlantic but it was greeted with cheers, laughs and a standing ovation. Now I will say that a lot of people seemed to know the score so maybe it was playing to a large selection of people familiar with the cast recording but I'm sure heaps didn't so I am hopeful for a successful run. It was great to see it again - laughs a plenty - and it was great to see Ann Harada recreating her role as Christmas Eve, the Japanese therapist. Among the London cast the standouts had to be Julie Atherton playing 'Kate Monster'/'Lucy The Slut' and Jon Robyns as 'Princeton'/'Rod'. Giles Terera plays 'Gary Coleman' but wasn't as good as the woman we saw do it on Broadway!

However Constant Reader - run to see this show!!

No comments: