Friday, February 03, 2006

There I was, Constant Reader, poking about the rather wonderful MADONNALICIOUS website when I noticed the downloads link. Why had I never noticed this before? I now have the 1990 Omnibus documentary (albeit in 4 segments) and her sensational appearance at the 1991 Academy Awards singing Sondheim's SOONER OR LATER from "Dick Tracy".

I hasten to add M has appeared twice at the Academy Awards singing nominated songs in the Best Song category, the afore-mentioned from "Dick Tracy" and YOU MUST LOVE ME from "Evita". Both won the award. So songwriters... you want an Oscar? Then get Madonna to sing your song in a film. It was also announced last night that she is going to be appearing with The Gorillaz at the upcoming Grammy Awards... can't Wait to see that!!


In other news today the once essential SMASH HITS magazine is to close after 28 years of publication. How's that for a telling comment on the music of today? When even SH can't maintain interest in the shiny pop people de jour? It came at a good time for me... just as I was beginning to tire of the NME's increasing ponciness - there was the bright and irreverant SMASH HITS. I must rifle through my shedloads/shitloads of old cuttings... I am bound to have some of Debbie, Siouxsie and Kate from this august journal.

1 comment:

Owen said...

Hhmmmm Kirsty in '80s pout mode!