Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Don't Take My Coconuts!!


Still getting over the fabulata KID CREOLE AND THE COCONUTS at Jazz Cafe on Monday with Owen and Dawn.  I had always wanted to go to the venue so this was a good opportunity to kill two tropical birds with one stone. 
I was delighted at how close the audience can get to the low stage so when the musicians were going full heft it was really powerful! The crowd wasn't too bad actually - compared with the trogs one might have got somewhere like Shepherds Bush Empire. 

Dawn and I had seen the Kid a few years back at Kew Gardens - and missed our chance of dancing onstage when we both went for a wee break at the wrong time! - and I remember saying how good it would be to see them in a small club. I'm glad to say they lived up to expectations!

August Darnell really knows how to work the audience and with his band of international musicians rattled through some KC&C classics: ANNIE I'M NOT YOUR DADDY - I'M A WONDERFUL THING, BABY - STOOL PIDGEON (ha cha-cha-chaaaa) - ENDICOTT - DON'T TAKE MY COCONUTS and a whole raft of other fab tunes.
  


Of course also on hand were the most frightening women in pop The Coconuts - never smiling, dancing up a storm and on hand to shoot Kid withering looks whenever he boasted of his sexual prowess!

Allegedly he came up with the idea after seeing Bob Marley's I-Threes... thank Gawd he never got them wearing floor-lengths and turbans!  I wonder where the classic Coconuts are now, Taryn, Adriana and Cheryl?  Hopefully still making grown men grovel...

1 comment:

redhairedqueer said...

Ha ha. I'd never thought of the Coconuts as scary before. I know what you mean though. Makes me love 'em even more!