Thursday, September 29, 2005

MARIANNE FAITHFULL at Queen Elizabeth Hall


Went to see Marianne Faithfull at the Queen Elizabeth Hall tonight with Owen.  

Been damn lucky this year as regards herself, the gig in the spring at Shepherds Bush as well as her appearance at the Meltdown in the summer. Excellent seats... about 6 rows back, dead centre. She seemed a bit more subdued this time out and noticeably there was no WHY D'YA DO IT? but she looked great in leather jacket, white shirt, black trousers and heels. She always makes me so worried... tottering around the stage in her heels where there are nasty snaking cables everywhere,  The set was a slightly slimmer version of the Shepherds Bush gig and her band were as excellent as before - always a pleasure to see Barry Reynolds. The numbers she does from the BEFORE THE POISON album shine more brightly live than on the cd namely NO CHILD OF MINE, LAST SONG and CRAZY LOVE. Once again she gave a barn-storming performance of Lennon's WORKING CLASS HERO - she has mined that song for every nuance in the lyrics and it now stops the show. 

As the lights came up I turned to put my coat on to see Anita Pallenberg sitting directly behind me! Owen noticed the guitar tech was placing the vases of white roses which had adorned the keyboards platform at the stage apron along with the band's set-lists. So we galloped down and nabbed a rose and list. After a moment's hesitation, I picked another rose and presented it to La Pallenberg. I know, Constant Reader.... show me an old Rolling Stones squeeze and I lose it. 

There was a nice surprise in the foyer too, a new concert dvd filmed in Hollywood this spring. Needless to say that was played as soon as I got home. Not only is it a record of her current excellent form but there is a delightful interview extra where she reveals the background to songs in the repertoire. The dvd also comes with an 11-track cd of the show's highlights. So I currently write this from a cloud in Marianne Heaven. I cannot think of another British singer of her era who is making music as valid and interesting as she is, male or female.

No comments: