Friday, October 26, 2007

Last night I went with Owen to see Suzanne Vega for the 2nd time this year, this time at the ultra-sprauncy Cadogan Hall.

Things didn't start well when Owen found that Ticketmaster or the Box Office had buggered the booking and instead of being 3/4 of the way back in the stalls we were in the 2nd from last row.

We then sat through the support act Gary Daly who sang fey love songs but showed more personality in his introductions - and swipe me if he wasn't the lead singer of China Crisis back in the 1980s! They had popped up on my iPod only the day before via a New Romantics-ish compilation I have. Go figure.

Anway Suzanne Vega had her full band with her so I had a great time. The second time we saw her it was just her and Mike her bassist and I must admit I got a bit restive. But since then we have seen her with her band of 4 musicians who fill out her songbook with a solid wall of sound. My blog from the summer covers this show too but again I came away with what an interesting persona she has on stage. Very engaging and insightful but also quite guarded and certainly not given to buttering up her audiences. She came on for the last encore to have a man in the audience shout out could she give the audience the story behind LUKA? "No".

Good for you Suzanne.... Marlene on the wall isn't the only one with a mocking smile! It would be good to see her again. In a different venue tho'.

No comments: